Thursday, February 3, 2011

MY YASI ADVENTURE 2011


Well, here it is..the night of the cyclone Yasi. The most destructive cyclone ever experienced in Australia...a category 5 Cyclone....my very own cyclone.

What can I say, I along with millions of people around the world watched in awe as this monster made its way weaving into out Eastern coastline. The images were incredible, the centre 'eye' black and evil looking. It really looked like it had an evil black pulsating heart.
The day it was expected was full of terrifying anticipation by most Northern Queenlanders and here at Richmond we were no different. The hospital had several emergency contingency plan meetings and we were well prepared. The grounds were cleaned up, tied up and prepared to be whipped up. My self and the other nurse staying in the nursing quarters were evacuated and advised to stay in the hospital for the following 48 hrs. Luckily, I had a few shifts there anyway so the 'inconvenience' was only short lived. I bundled all i had into 3 separate bags, said hooroo to my temporary abode and walked to work wondering if i would ever see the remainder of my possessions again or would this glorious old house disintegrate under Yasis enormous umbrella? As it was, the night came and went, i watched and waited....watched and waited.....then woke along with many others to see what havoc had been caused. In my opinion the incredible work done before hand and pre warnings given were the reason there has been no loss of life. People in general pulled together, did what was asked and life was preserved. Real estate and property was not so lucky, buy hey, trees will grow again and homes can be rebuilt. The trail of devastation was relatively minute I thought.
In Richmond -as day broke- our winds were just beginning and we had a long day of howling noisy winds, trees blowing over and lots of rubbish littering the streets/fields. All in all, pretty damn lucky and relieved. I have to say, I headed off for adventure and feel like i am living it! What more could i ask for....now I can honestly say "Ive felt the wind and heartbeat of an ugly beast that was called ...Cyclone YASI"

2 comments:

  1. Hi colleen,
    Glad you made it through Yasi ok.
    As you said it is amazing no lives lost!
    But it certainly left it's mark.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!...What an experience so glad you are ok!!!

    ReplyDelete