Sunday, October 17, 2010

BITS AND PIECES...around Kingaroy.




Kingaroy, originally called Wakka Wakka which is the aboriginal name for Red Ant. I thought that was funny given my blog name is Col WACKA :) After taking a walk through Kingaroy you can very quickly see all the red ants scurrying about their business-there are thousands of them. The other main thing about Kingaroy is their famous crops of peanuts and hence the name 'The peanut Capital of Australia'. In my pohotos today I have included one taken this morning of the huge peanut silos that are right in the middle of town.
A few may remember the politician- Joh Bjelke-Petersen. This is his part of the woods and last weekend we drove past Flo's place. That's his wife who is famous for her pumpkin scones. Oddly enough, no shops or cafes have targeted this as a money making opportunity and I have yet to taste some pumpkin scones!
If your interested in visiting this region you cant go through without visiting the array of newish vineyards that have sprung up in the area and are proving to be stiff competitors in the world wine arena. Not only that, but the wineries also have gorgeous cheeses and another local favorite is Lavender. It grows like wildfire here and it can be seen in everything from Lavender cheese, lavender scones and lavender wine. It looks pretty but does not appeal to me.
This morning I went for a short little drive still exploring my local area and I took some photos of what i think is a marvelous idea! It is a community vege garden right in the heart of town. Amazing it hasn't been vandalised and it is simply over growing with lovely fresh veges at the moment.
Take care,
Colleen

1 comment: