Thursday, October 7, 2010

FIRST NIGHT


Last night was my first ever night where I have been the most senior person in the hospital. In fact, there was only myself and one EEN. I was nervous enough and everything rushed through my head the day before. What would I do if someone crashed? What would i do if I didnt know everything that needed to be done? I was anxious but kept telling myself the worst that could happen would be someoone died. Well of course, within an hour this happened! Everything I knew was out the window and within an hour the undertaker was there walking up the dim hall with his horrible grim looking trolley with a red velour zipper'bag' on top. Of course he was 7 foot tall, had black gloves on and a full suit, in my imagination he took on the bizarre appearance of a grim, lofty evil man. All the while it was deadly silent and eerie...the patient wrapped in a ghostly silence and rolled on back up the long hall. Ok, perhaps nightshift does funny things to the tired brain but it was on the whole a very odd experience. I have never had to write the "extinction" form or pronounce someone D-E-A-D. I was surprised that no doctor comes in, and I had never been the one in charge to have to make the call to husband and estranged family. I have to say in the few shifts I have done I have learnt or experienced something new each time. I am liking it here and so far (touch wood) the staff have been wonderful and a special thanks to the wonderful EEN's who have been absolutely the best resource I have had. Where would I be without a trusty partner?

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you mate, but as always you would of been the true professional... see the little badge I made you ages ago still stands.. :) xx

    ReplyDelete