Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FIRST DAY



First day at Kingaroy Private Hospital! I LOVED IT! The people were nice and the experience as a whole was positive. There are only two staff on per shift, one RN and one PCA or EEN. I very quickly realised I would need to be able to do alot of things and in the last week they have had blood infusions, syringe drivers, iron infusions etc. It was a jolt to realise that I alone would be ultimately responsible. In the past I have always known there was backup and resources should i need them, here, there is no one. I am pleased to say once my nerves settled I felt confident that my past 2 years would stand me in good stead. Although, what happens if someone crashes in the afternoon or night?? There is no one around for miles. It would be a 000 call and return to the patient to follow the DRABC as best as I could! I am nervous but excited.
One thing I am excited about is morning and afternoon tea! They put it on for staff here and it is all freshly baked onsite by one lovely cook. For morning tea it was fresh hot cheese and chive damper with butter. Afternoon tea was a fudgey chocolate slice. This smelt delicious wafting through the hospital all morning. Unfortunately I am trying a gluten free diet this week and am proud to say I had NONE!
Today was an odd day because we had only 7 patients and one was discharged at 10am. Plus we had 5 staff. This was the usual EEN and RN plus myself (on orientation) and there were 2 terrific students. As I always say, when you get and easy day like this you grab and enjoy...it makes up for the horror shifts that way out number the easy peasy ones.
All in all I am loving my stay here so far.
Take care,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment